Welcome to TechTalks!
This post we are going to go over a few tips to help you improve the battery life on your iDevices whether they are ipods, iphones or ipads!
- Close Your Apps The first tip is super simple yet very effective; close your apps! Every app that you have running in the background will be slowly draining battery life; some will only use a little while others that use features like location tracking will drain your battery quickly. To close these apps double-click the home button then swipe up on each app, you can do two or three apps at a time using multiple fingers to speed up the process.
- Turn Off Wifi The next tip is turning off wireless communications when you aren’t using them. If you are somewhere where there is no wifi or you don’t have the password your iphone or ipad will continuously search for a network to connect to. To turn off your wifi simply swipe up from the bottom of your screen then tap the wifi button or tap the airplane button which enables airplane mode and disables all wireless communication.
Having airplane mode on while charging also improves your charging time significantly so if you are almost out of battery and only have a moment to charge turn on airplane mode to get the most out of your charging time.
- Turn Down The Brightness Another obvious tip is adjusting your screen brightness. Keeping your brightness low or even off will make a significant difference in how long your battery lasts. The easiest way to adjust brightness is to swipe up from the bottom and dragging the setting towards the smaller sun on the left. If you need to turn the brightness up on a sunny day it is easy enough to put it back
–There is a lot of debate on the Auto-Brightness adjust feature which measures your ambient lighting and adjusts the brightness accordingly. Some people say that turning it on can improve your battery life significantly and others say that turning it off will do the same. We haven’t tested this enough to make an educated statement either way. Experiment with it for yourself and let us know what you find!
- Stop apps from refreshing in the background If you know that you will forget to close apps you can limit an app’s ability to refresh in the background by going to Setting> General> Background App Refresh and turn off any apps that you don’t need running in the background. I turn off everything except for email and my running app, other apps like Google docs can refresh when I access them.
- Don’t use dynamic backgrounds In the newer OS updates there are options to use “dynamic backgrounds” these are background pictures that move, almost like a video. These backgrounds look great but take up processing power and therefore battery life.
You can decide for each of these tips if you would like to use them and to what extent. I turn my brightness down but don’t turn it off unless it’s very dark out, you may want other apps to refresh in the background or you may like having the dynamic background. Play around with the settings but closing your apps is important; it not only saves battery life but also helps to speed up your device.
Thanks for reading our tech talk, feel free to share these tips with your friends, the two biggest points are mentioned in our video with a walkthrough of how to do them.